Today there are a large number of search engines, but the first ones were born in the 90s.
Without a doubt, the most important search engine, Google, was born in 1996. This is where the boom of web pages began, this is when people realized that money could be made from being shown at the right place at the right time on the internet.
In this digital age, businesses need to attract as much traffic as possible to their website. By far the best method for getting the most ROI from your marketing spend is to optimize for search engine rankings.
With that said, how do you actually show up in Google when people are searching for your products and services? Well, that process is called SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO is the process that is carried out so that web pages have better positioning and the visibility of the website itself improves.
SEO is one of the disciplines that has changed the most in recent years. It is enough to take into account all the updates that have occurred in both Panda and Penguin (Googles cute sounding names for very serious updates to their algorithm), and how they have made a 180 degree turn to what we initially understood as SEO.
Now businesses that use SEO look to optimize everything for the user (which is a good thing).
There are a large number of factors that influence the positioning of a web page within Google, however, there are two that are the most impactful.
- Authority: The more popular the page, the more relevant information it will have. This factor is one of the most important for positioning since it is based on their own experience of each of the users who have given their opinions. The more content is shared, the more users it will have been more useful.
- Relevance: This is the relationship that the page has with the search performed. The search engine relies on several factors to determine this. It used to be possible to stuff a whole bunch of keywords on a page and rank for anything but Google is much smarter at detemrinign what is relevant in 2020.
So the overarching theme here is that the #1 reason that Google ranks a website highly in their search engine is TRUST.
The work required for good quality SEO is divided into two main groups:
- On-site: your main concern is relevance. It is important that you pass on the right signals to ensure Google knows exactly what they should rank you for. For Google to rank you in the right places they must first understand you. Proper on site SEO includes the optimization of the keywords, the loading time, the user experience, the optimization of the code, and the format of the URLs.
- Off-site: focuses on external factors of your website. The most important factors are the number and quality of backlinks (links from other trusted websites), your presence on social networks, mentions in local media, brand authority, and the performance of search results.
Once we have all the basics of SEO clear, you must know that there are two pathways you can go down in order to rank highly in Google.
- Black Hat SEO: is the attempt to improve the search engine positioning of a web page using unethical techniques or techniques that contradict the specific guidelines of any search engine. Some examples are SPAM or spinning in all kinds of forums or blog comments. It provides short-term benefits, but it is a very risky strategy without long-term continuity. These techniques do not add much value if any.
- White Hat SEO: it consists of applying all those actions that are ethically correct and that comply with all the guidelines of the search engine. Search engines give greater importance to the pages that best respond to the search carried out by each user. White Hat methods seek to use techniques that allow a page to appear more relevant and trustworthy to search engines.
The importance of SEO.
SEO is necessary for any serious business owner that wantsa to grow to the next level in 2020. High quality SEO will help search engines understand that the content of each page on your website is the most authoritative and help you to be found when people are searching for your products and services online.
For this reason, SEO is the best way for your users to find you through all the searches in which your website is relevant. Users will search for the products, services, or content that you are going to offer. So the best way to reach all of them is through a good position within the search engine.
If you need help with getting your website to appear in all the right places online, contact us for a free SEO analysis today.